A Nature Journaling Workshop in the Wasatch
“Part of the lure of keeping a journal is the world you enter when you open it. Working in it sets up an island of quiet and deliberateness to which you will long to return.”
– Hannah Hinchman
- Date and Time: July 16th, 2022; 10AM-3PM (participants welcome to linger or hike afterwards)
- Location: Park at the Brighton Store in the Brighton Circle and go from there!
- Ages: 18+
- Cost: Sliding scale workshop price: $20, $30, or $40 per person (See below for more information)
- Journal-making materials and artistic supplies are fully provided (see packing list if you are curious about optional additional materials)
- Class size is limited to 15 participants
- All identities welcome, this is a space where all people regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race or religion are accepted and respected.
- For all levels of journallers. Physical exertion level is “choose your own adventure”
- Carpooling may be available based on the group’s interest
*A note about accessibility: We’d love to make this workshop accessible to folks with disabilities, and we’d appreciate a conversation with you beforehand so we can plan ahead for specific accommodations that would make this workshop comfortable and safe for you.
Begin – or reinvigorate – your nature journaling practice during a day of inspiration, community, and outdoor experiences at this Engelmann Mountain School workshop! At the Wasatch Mountain Lodge nestled in the forest at Brighton Resort, we’ll spend time crafting and personalizing our hand-bound nature journals, discussing techniques, motivations, and outcomes of nature journaling – and of course – spending time outside with facilitated and freeing journaling experiences.
Whether you journal to reduce anxiety, keep a record, practice mindfulness and naturalist skills, protect a place you love, or all of the above and beyond – this workshop is flexible yet supportive to make nature journaling a part of your life in whatever way serves you best.
- A day to cultivate place-based and lifelong learning, as well as begin or continue this practice of presence using nature journaling
- Your own hand-bound, personalized nature journal (materials included)
- Several journaling prompts and techniques, as well as additional resources to be sent via email
- A community-based experience where you can meet others and share learnings
About the Sliding Scale Pricing: We use a sliding scale to make this workshop accessible for those with lower incomes/wealth and to reflect the value and labor of this work. ($20, $30, $40). You decide what you are willing and able to pay. Ask yourself:
- Are you and your family homeowners or landowners?
- Have you attended private education, or have an advanced degree?
- Are your bills or credit cards on autopay?
- Do you have no debt and/or disposable income?
- Do you have a safety net of “financially stable” people in your life?
- Do you have Citizenship in the country you live?
- If your answers were mostly yes we suggest the $40 price point.
- If some answers were yes and no, we suggest $30.
- If most answers were no, we suggest you select $20, or reach out to us.
* Engelmann Mountain School is a non profit organization, and while we are newly fledged, we aim to offer accessible opportunities to learn in the outdoors. Please support future students with a gift of any size that is right for you and your family at this time.
- Comfortable clothes and layers for various weather conditions, shade/sun/precipitation
- Lunch, snacks, and water
Exertion level: Low-Medium/Choose your own adventure
- Artistic supplies such as specific paint sets, pens, etc.
- Specific paper to be used in decorating the recycled cardboard binding/cover of your journal (though a variety of patterned paper will be provided)
Sliding Scale Payment/Donation
Sliding Scale Payment
Make a monthly donation
Make a yearly donation
Choose an amount
Or enter a custom amount
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.Pay or DonatePay or DonatePay or Donate